A big "Thank You" to Lisa over at Pebbles and Piggytails who nominated us for the Liebster Award! It is a blogging award given by another blogger who enjoys the contributions you make and wants to share a little recognition.
Award Recipients do the following:
- Share 11 random facts about his or herself
- Answer 11 questions the nominating blogger has created
- List 11 bloggers who have less than 200 followers (as best as you can tell based on their page) They should be bloggers that you believe deserve some recognition and a little blogging love!
- Post 11 questions for the bloggers for the newly nominated bloggers to answer; and let all the bloggers know that they've been nominated. Do not nominate the blogger that nominated you.
So here we go!
11 Random Facts about Me:
1. I love to read, but I usually have about 4 books in progress at once. Thus, it takes me forever to finish one.
2. I love having people over to my house. My friends are very important to me, and it also makes me keep my house clean.
3. I have a degree in Psychology. I was planning to go to grad school, but put those plans on hold when we decided to start our family. I have never regretted that decision.
4. I taught preschool to earn money while in college, and while I was pregnant with Ashley. My favorite kids were the rowdy little boys that none of the other teachers wanted in their class. We connected and I enjoyed their energy. Thus, the Lord gave me a houseful of them. :)
5. I was in a number of school plays and musicals when I was younger.
6. My grandpa was a jazz musician and gave me his piano when I was 4 so that I could begin lessons. Growing up, whenever I mentioned wanting to quit piano, my mom would say, "OK. Give Grandpa a call and tell him you're quitting." I would cry and then keep going, because there was NO WAY I was going to tell my grandpa that! I'm grateful now.
7. I keep a little bit of chocolate locked in a small safe in my pantry, because my boys would eat it in a heartbeat if they could get to it, and I want it to be there on a day that I need it.
8. I love sweaty hugs from my boys after football games.
9. I knew my husband was the man for me because he was different than anyone else I had dated. I felt like I could completely be myself and tell him anything from very early on in our relationship. We talked about anything and everything. We can still talk for hours.
10. I make up goofy words to songs while we listen to music in the car.
11. I am a convert to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and my faith means the world to me.
Lisa's 11 Questions for Me:
1) What is your dream vacation?
Italy! I have wanted to go tour Rome and see the ruins and the history there FOREVER. The good news? We offered Ashley a graduation trip anywhere she wants to go (within a certain budget), and I think her dreams are the same as mine. Fingers crossed! Other places on my list are Palmyra and Greece. I love seeing where history happened.
2) Do you believe in miracles and why or why not?
Yes - I have seen them! Some are big and some are small, but I believe that God cares for us all and is involved in the details of our lives.
3) Cats or Dogs?
Dogs - if I am going to invest my time and money in an animal, it had better love me for it.
4) Why do you blog?
Lots of reasons! I want to keep a history of my family and our experiences, and share that with our loved ones that are far away. I print my blog from time to time, so it is a family journal of sorts that I hope my descendants will treasure. Also, blogging helps me learn deeper truths from my experiences. By reflecting on them while I write, I learn a lot. Finally, I hope that my experiences, the good and the bad, can be uplifting and helpful to those who read them.
5) What's your favorite kind of social media--FB, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest, etc?
Probably Facebook, because that is where most of my friends are.
6) Are you an outdoors person or a home-body?
Both? I can't say that I am a rugged outdoorswoman by any stretch of the imagination, but I do like to go places and do things. I love the beach and the mountains, especially.
7) Where do you hope to be in 10 years?
In 10 years, we will have only one child left at home. (Can that be possible!?) Mostly, we will be enjoying time with her, but I hope to be visiting my kids and grandchildren a lot as well! When Kate leaves home, my husband and I hope to serve several missions for our church, in addition to visiting our kids and their families frequently. I also have a dream in the back of my head to one day open a hands-on parent education center to equip parents with the tools they need to be effective and loving parents. Lots of ideas in formation on that one!
8) What's your favorite thing about your mom?
My mom is amazing. She is so smart and talented, but even at a very young age and despite societal voices telling her otherwise, put those talents to work in her own home as her first priority. She married at 17, and I was born a week after her 18th birthday. Her family always came first. She went to college when we were all in school, and is now the CFO of an advertising agency, in addition to being an awesome grandmother.
9) What is THE food you couldn't live without?
Avocadoes - I use them every chance I get.
10) When is the last time you went on a date with your spouse or significant other?
3 days ago - we escaped together to pick up Cameron after his football game. It was a short date, but I'll take all of those little moments I can get!
11) What's your favorite way to spend time with your family?
I love our family scripture time every day. Each night, we gather everyone together and read and discuss the scriptures. I love to see my kids understand and contribute to those conversations. I also love a good rowdy football game with my crew as well. :)
Bloggers I am nominating for the Liebster Award:
Forgive me for not having 11! I do not get as much time as I would like to read other blogs, so finding 11 that meet the criteria is a little tough. I also have a few private blogs that I love, that I can't nominate, because you wouldn't be able to access them. However, I can wholeheartedly recommend the following blogs to you, and I will reserve the right to add to this list as I come across more that I want to recognize!